Did you know that what you eat and the habits you make can make a big impact on the health of your feet? March is National Nutrition Month and we want to raise awareness on this important topic. Keeping your body and feet in great shape well into your senior years is important if you want to stay active and mobile. Choosing healthier, vitamin-enriched foods is easier than most people think. How can you make better choices this March? Here are some of our top tips and tricks!
- Exercise 3-4 times a week. If you’re not into heavy lifting or long runs on the bike trail, keep it light with some yoga or a gentle walk. Any form of action will help you maintain a healthier weight and keep your blood flowing nicely.
- Ensure you’re eating enough fruits and veggies throughout the day. Instead of potato chips, grab an apple or some carrot sticks.
- Takeout may be quick and delicious, but they’re usually packed with excess sodium, sugars, and unnecessary ingredients. Go for home-cooked meals, where you can choose what goes into your meal.
- Make the switch to healthier alternatives to your favorite foods. Like pasta? Try whole wheat or veggie pasta! White rice may be tasty, but quinoa and brown rice pack a lot more nutritional value. Making potatoes for dinner? Leave the skins on or try sweet potatoes! Instead of your daily bowl of breakfast cereals, go for oatmeal or granola to cut down on sugar.
- Dehydration isn’t good for your body and digestive system, so make sure you’re drinking 6-8 glasses of water per day.
- Do you tend to skip breakfast? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you’re normally rushing around in the morning, go for something quick and easy, like a banana or a cup of yogurt. You can take them on the go, too!
Board-certified podiatrist Dr. Naghmeh Lilly Khavari is committed to helping her clients in Carrollton, TX. She offers a wide variety of treatments from ingrown toenails to advanced surgical solutions. Contact Carrollton Foot Center’s office at 469-998-3668 to schedule an appointment today!